Thursday, February 26, 2009

My tabard all pretty

As promised earlier in the blog I have finally embroidered my tabard so that no one can confuse me with either a St Florian Marine or Malitia. Just because it's purple and white does not mean it's a baroinial tabard people.


Here's the tabrd with the bottom Rose complete. I applied embroidery thread over the opposite coloured drill. I attached the opposing colour drill to the tabard with a heat bond material; you iron it too the material and it sticks which also seals your seams which is cool. The down side however is the instructions tell you to cut the excess off after you've ironed the heat bond to the cut out piece; DO NOT DO THIS. It should be the other way around, cut the excess off before ironing the heat bond to the cut out piece. Sorry mum I ruined your ironing board cover; yes the excess heat bond is now bonded to the ironing board cover but it's ok we found the exact same one as she had already on there.


The stitch I used was split stitch. Then I couched a craft "ribbion" around the outer edge of the roses. I dont really like the effect of the outer edge becuase the ribbion is so thick you loose the detail of the curves of the rose. Although couching is a hell of a lot quicker than split stitch.
Here's a close up of my white rose; it was the first one I completed. I completed the first rose over two days.
Here's the finish product with all three roses finished. The last two roses took a day each to complete. The first of the two purple roses was completed over two sessions on the same day and the last rose was completed mostly in one session it took about four and a half hours (I was most of the way through 2 discs of the making/extras of lord of the rings). So it's all done and ready for the tournment on saturday. Although it needs an iron (heaven forbid touching the iron again) as the embroidery hoop left marks as you can see.

1 comment:

Ysambart said...

That looks really cool. Nice work.