Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A list of things I want to get or Make

i've just been to Great Northern War and I'm all enthused. Last night I started a list and have decided to post so I may possibly do it.

Coat of Plates (I have had all the bits for ages just need to do it)
Light weight Legs: Leather uppers with metal Knee cops
Light weight Body armour: thinking maybe a barbie bra and kidney belt

Thinking about maybe a new ackoton; something more flattering to my shape
Shoulders for my Tabard; not sure what I want to put on them yet but I want to make them interchangable. So maybe my device, Bart's and Tomas's devices

Spanish Head dress to match and complete my current outfits
A red and Black spanish like my gold and black and red and blue one
A german Red and Gold or Red and White dress

Bits and Pieces:
A purple or purple and white cover for my director chair and small wooden fold out table.

Elizabethan Covered Tall Hat

So I have a large amount of Buckram and Velvet siting around from my Tudor gown and French hood. I decided to make a hat in my spare time to wear with late period garb. I made a mens hat but that doesnt really matter perhaps I am borrowing my Lord's hat on a sunny day. I like to think it's ok to slightly mix late period garb. I mean in period people were travelling and adopting new dress. Perhaps when i'm wearing my spanish dress and an elglish hat it is because my lord has been travelling and brought me back a present.

Anyway enough Rambling. I desided to go back the tudor taylor. I chose to make a Elizabethan covered tall hat. The describtion did not explain what the material covering the hat should be so I used left over velveteen from my gown. God damn velveteen pills and goes everywhere.

Here is the inner structure of the hat; Buckram with heavy gage beading wire around the edges.

The fun job of gluing flanalet to the buckram for some padding. I didnt have any felt laying around and decided this hat was going to be constructed completely of left over materials.

Here is the outside face of the top of the hat covered in flanalet and the top has been attached to the side wall.
The inside lining has been sewn into place before the rest of construction takes place.
I did not take photos of the next stages as much of the fiddly stuff was done during my break at work. A circular piece of velveteen was pinned to the top then gathered into pleates around the sides. I pulled these down tight as I stitched them into place. The bright purple gathering threads were removed before the covered brim was fixed into place. The outside covering of the brim it attached to the base and the brim. I stiched through the brim, the brim covering and the side wall to attach the brim and brim covering. The underside of the brim covering is just attached to the inner layer of the hat.

The band is a 4inch wide strip of velveteen which I hand sewed. i attempted to machine sew the tube then turn it around the right way but the velveteen just fell apart at the stiches.

Here is the completed hat which looks totally silly on my head but very period.

English Gown Based Jacket

I have a massive bright orange/red wool cloak that was given to me by some friends many years ago. It is very warm but not very practicle. I have comfortably had two other ladies under it which hints at to how large the cloack really is. I thought it was about time I finally made myself a jacket.

After much searching of the internet I came up empty for patterns. I wanted something I could get away with wearing in late perriod and early period. So I went back to my trusty tudor taylor and desided to make a slightly modified English Gown. Rather than it toughing the floor I made it come to mid calf and rather than having a stupid amount of material just hanging from my shoulders I made it slightly less bulky.

The next issue was the material. I would like to have made a wool Jacket however the cost of wool from spotlight in Brisbane is stupid. I could not afford the amount of wool that would be required. I decided to cheat a little. The fabric is a wool/polyester blend that was on special at spotlight. The weave is a standard Tabby with purple and black haphazardly spun into the threads. The fabric is a rather open weave so I have lined the coat with black flanalet which is fluffy and soft and shall never be seen.

Here is a photo of it hanging while the seams were droping before the arms or colar was attached.
Here it is hanging complete. I used some cloth ribion I had lying around the house for the ties. When I wore it with my early period garb at Great Northern War this last weekend I overlapped it at the front for extra warmth rather than tying it at the front.