Another few firsts; a free pdf printable pattern and using elastic. It was pretty amusing looking at the the different widths and lengths of elastic and having no idea at all what I needed. It's only funny because I've been sewing for years but I had no idea what I was looking at. I end up taking a guess and it seems to have worked.
The pattern all printed out and taped together ready to be cut out.
I had red and white poka dotes in mind and found the perfect fabric :)
The bodice was supposed to have two darts however I accidentally forgot to transfer them across from the pattern. The bodice seemed to fit like it was. I did make a mock bodice from some scrap material to make sure the pattern fitted me before I cut my good fabric. I couldn't work out how the skirt piece was supposed to fit on the material. The pattern seems to suggest two folds before cutting. The fabric wasn't wide enough to fold so I folded it once then cut out another piece slightly narrower. the skirt still looks like it sits right and is full enough.
I decided to try to make a hair wrap. I followed an online tutorial. The length wasn't long enough. I made the one that matches the dress 4inches longer.
Two weeks before the party Mum agrees that she wants one as well. So I took her shopping and she picked my second choice for the fabric. Mum is slightly smaller than I am so I took a bit out of the back piece and put in the two darts.
My dress all complete.
The back has 5 channels sewn in with elastic fed through them. The dress is really comfortable to wear. I meant to wear a pettie coat underneath but in the rush to get the dresses finished (I did the final touches to both dresses on the day and started and completed both the hair wraps). The skirt is lined so it still looked full enough.