Friday, November 28, 2008

Chemise

Here is a few hours work. It kind of fits but isn't quiet right. This was my first attempt at a chemise. I found the pattern online; it was an sca web page of some description. One of the issues is it said to take the arm measurements from the point of the shoulder where as I found out after I put it together that the measurement should be taken from the neck so my arms are about 2 inches too short. I covered this by creating cuffs. Although I made a mistake on the cuffs and they are about an inch too big; I know where I made the mistake and that was all my doing as the pattern didn't mention cuffs at all.

Another issue is it gave no guidelines as to how wide the body measurement should be. I measured around the biggest part of my body and added 5 or so inches onto it and seam allowance. Although the chemise fits it isn't baggy like I would prefer.
I think the Pattern meant for you to use the whole width of the fabric however the fabric I had was just over a meter and a half wide, so it would have been far too much.

The pattern also gave no instructions on how to do the neck line. I looked at some photos from our local groups page and saw that the ladies wear chemises with square necks so I made a square neck. However because it is so small there is no gathering at the neck.

Here is the end product. It works but isn't perfect. It is only like $3 worth of fabric and a few dollars worth of bias and thread. the ribbion came from old clothes (you know the little loops you're supposed to hang the clothes by). It was a learning experience. I have another pattern for a spanish chemise which seems like a much better pattern. I have the fabric and such for that already so i'll experiment with that at some point in the future. I'll post more about it when I've completed it.

No comments: