Tuesday, June 15, 2010

English Gown Based Jacket

I have a massive bright orange/red wool cloak that was given to me by some friends many years ago. It is very warm but not very practicle. I have comfortably had two other ladies under it which hints at to how large the cloack really is. I thought it was about time I finally made myself a jacket.

After much searching of the internet I came up empty for patterns. I wanted something I could get away with wearing in late perriod and early period. So I went back to my trusty tudor taylor and desided to make a slightly modified English Gown. Rather than it toughing the floor I made it come to mid calf and rather than having a stupid amount of material just hanging from my shoulders I made it slightly less bulky.

The next issue was the material. I would like to have made a wool Jacket however the cost of wool from spotlight in Brisbane is stupid. I could not afford the amount of wool that would be required. I decided to cheat a little. The fabric is a wool/polyester blend that was on special at spotlight. The weave is a standard Tabby with purple and black haphazardly spun into the threads. The fabric is a rather open weave so I have lined the coat with black flanalet which is fluffy and soft and shall never be seen.

Here is a photo of it hanging while the seams were droping before the arms or colar was attached.
Here it is hanging complete. I used some cloth ribion I had lying around the house for the ties. When I wore it with my early period garb at Great Northern War this last weekend I overlapped it at the front for extra warmth rather than tying it at the front.




No comments: