Tuesday, August 4, 2009

French Hood of hoodness

Since
On Sunday I started to work on my French Hood. I did not think it would take too long to cut out the buckrum and stitch the wire to the edges. I was saddly mistaken. It took me four hours to get to this point. The wire I end up using is copper 18 gage craft wire rather than 18 gage millinery wire which I was unable to get.

The Cresent on it's own.
The cresent siting on the brim.
Once the wire was attached to the buckrum I moved onto glueing felt onto the two pieces to add body to the hood. If it were made without felt in the construction the wire would show through the outer layer and the hood would be flat much like a piece fo cardboard. With the felt the end product is fuller and softer.
The felt once the glue had dried and the multitude of pegs were removed.
The outside of the hood is covered in satin and the inside is covered in broad cloth. The satin is too slipery to be on the inside the hood would slide straight off. The outerlayer was carfully handsewn on.
Here is the mostly completed hood. The Veil has been attached all that is left is to attach the pearls and gold beads once the gold beads arrive; the pearls finally arrived today. Below is the view from the back looking at the veil.

1 comment:

Esperanza Sanchez de Calatrava said...

Great hood! Thanks for the fabulous pictures! :)