Monday, June 1, 2009

Tudor the Beginings

In November I bought a remnant piece of material for my tudor forpart. Well after all this time I have finally beaded the forepart. Althought the beading really did not take that long it has taken a long time to find the time to to it and then construct the underskirt. Here is a close up of the beading: I used nasty plastic beads that I got for $1 a packet at BigW.

Below is the complete skirt. All the machine sewing was completed on mothers day weekend but with assignments and just life in general I did not get around to finishing it until yesterday. After many weeks of constant assignments and sickness I decided to do nothing uni related yesterday. I sat in the lounge room watching 3 doctor who dvds with Tom Baker (from the 70s) and hand sewing all day. With the forepart the skirt does not look that impressive from the front.

From the back however you can see just how much material went into it. There is 3 metres of material gathered into that little waist band. It took me two goes to gather one side; the other week I almost had it gathered all the way when the gathering threads snapped. Yesterday it all went smoothly and worked first time. I was going to use a large hook and eye to close the back but when I tried the skirt on it seems it is not long enough to sit that high up on my waist so I sewed on some satin lace so that it is adjustable and can therefore be worn lower.

1 comment:

Ysambart said...

It's a good start.